Guidelines and Criteria
We award grants to students for postgraduate study. To meet our criteria you must:
- Be under 30 years of age on the date your proposed course of study starts
- Be born in Scotland OR be born elsewhere and planning to study in Scotland
- Be able to demonstrate current financial challenge with little or no access to family support; we prioritise supporting students facing socioeconomic challenge
- Be applying for postgraduate study only
- Applications must be made using our online form, fully completed and providing the additional material requested
How and When to Apply
- Our application window for grants for academic session 23-24 is now closed.
- The next application window will open on 1 January 2024, with a deadline of 31 May 2024.
- The online form has 34 questions, many of which are required fields. Unfortunately it’s not possible to save the form as in progress before submission, so we’d recommend that you consider collating all the necessary information needed in a separate document before completing and submitting your application. To help you do this, a copy of the questions you’ll be asked can be downloaded here.
- Applications must be submitted online by the 31 May deadline (late applications will not be considered). Please note the next deadline therefore is 31 May 2024
- Applicants will be notified of decisions on grants in early July
- Where requisite qualifications, or course offer, are yet to be confirmed, a conditional grant might be offered
- Successful candidates are required to notify the Trust should the circumstances of the purpose of their grant change significantly. That would not necessarily result in withdrawal of the grant
- The Trustees request a report on progress of study, at the end of the term of a grant
Grant-making policy review, Autumn 2022
In the first half of 2022, The McGlashan Charitable Trust undertook a review of its grant-making policy. The aim was to ensure our limited resources had the biggest impact in line with our priorities. Our two main areas of grant-making are arts organisations and postgraduate education in Scotland. We are a small Trust, making total annual awards of around £150,000 each year.
The McGlashan Charitable Trust intends to prioritise supporting people facing socioeconomic disadvantage and projects tackling socioeconomic disadvantage. In Autumn 2022, we made some changes to our organisational award criteria and application process. In early 2023 we made similar changes to our student award criteria and application process. These changes came into force as part of the new online application form for the 31 May 2023 deadline.